Monday, May 11, 2009

Y'Anna Crawley Wins "Sunday Best"

Y'Anna Crawley won the title of Sunday Best last night. She not only got a recording contract, she also drove away with a 2009 Lincoln MKS.

While I could've died three whole deaths when Y'Anna and Jessica Reedy did a gospel-infested version of the New Edition classic, Can You Stand the Rain, I think I was more upset by the outfit Y'Anna chose to wear. (Note to stylists everywhere: sometimes more really is more -- especially when it comes to covering my bodacious sisters.)

The highlight of the show was the television debut of BeBe & CeCe Winans' new single, Close to You. I realized two things as I watched their performance -- one, I really like the song, and two, I can't for the life of me figure out why they stopped performing together. Kirk Franklin mentioned that they'd be going on tour, and please know and trust that the Macklicious One will be SOMEWHERE in the house!

While I think Jessica put up a valiant effort for the title -- and she's an extremely talented singer -- this competition wasn't hers to win. Her sultry delivery was great, but since they were looking for a Sunday morning-type of singer, she just didn't fit the bill. Do I think she's out of the game? Hardly! I'm sure she'll get signed before the day is up. As Tina and Erica Campbell -- the ladies of Mary Mary -- kept telling her, she's needed in the gospel industry. I, for one, can't wait to hear what she's got up her sleeve.

I really enjoyed this season of Sunday Best, and thank you for following it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment